This blog was written for the Blog Action Day 2011. This is the first time I write for Blog Action Day and I would like to share a rare recipe among Malaysian. This cuisine called "Mandai" or "kulit cempedak" or in english cempedak skin.
"Artocarpus integer, known as Chempedak, chempedek or cempedak (pronounced "chem-pe-dak"), is a species of tree and its fruit in the family Moraceae. It is native to southeast Asia(Indonesia), occurring from Indonesia, Malaya Peninsula to the island of New Guinea/Papua. It has been introduced to Queensland. The vigorously growing, medium-sized tree can bear heavy crops of fruit once or twice a year. There are many varieties, although few are named. The sausage-shaped fruits range from 22 to 50 centimetres in length and 10 to 17 cm across. The edible arils surrounding the large seeds are yellow, orange or green in colour. The taste of the fruit is similar to the related Jackfruit and Breadfruit with a hint of Durian. The sweet, juicy pulp surrounds the seeds in a thick layer between the husk and an inedible core. The green skin is thin and leathery, patterned with hexagons that are either flat or raised protuberances like jackfruit skin. The fruit is very popular in its native area, and is becoming so in Queensland. Fritters made by dipping arils in batter and frying in oil are sold in the streets of Malaysia.This is also grown and eaten in Andhra pradesh, Tamil Nadu and Kerala states of India. This is known as "Panasapandu" in Telugu and "Chakka" in Malayalam. Cempedak fruits can be also found and bought in Singapore. The seeds can be boiled and then peeled and eaten. They taste very much like water chestnuts." - Source: Wikipedia
Most Malaysian eat cempedak as it is or eat fried cempedak during hi-tea. In Banjar culture have identified a variety of foods and beverages, it is usually unique and they adjust the food is in the vicinity. This type of cuisine, name Mandai Tiwadak Basang or skin of the fruit (Cempedak) fried. Many people were confused and do not know the cuisine of this Cempedak skin. Mandai has long made an alternative dish for Banjar, if we just remember to eat fruit most people's mind not to take advantage of the skin.
Let's see how to prepare this food!

The outer skin peeled to make it white and clean.

Soaked in salt water for few days up to a month it depends on personal taste.
Squeeze it to dry first.

Then, cut the cempedak skin, the size depends on your desire, and some like large pieces or like small pieces.
Put some oil and Cempedak skin were fried first before put others ingredients, to make it drier.


Added some dried chilies and onions. This ingredient depends on your tastes, some would like to add cili padi, anchovies (ikan bilis) or others.
Ready to serve with white rice! Yummy..."̮ ♥
I never found this food I outside and never taste it outside.. First time I tasted it when I small, if I'm not mistaken during primary school. Latest i ate on last Sunday! I really love the tastes.
I feel so lucky get to taste this unique cuisines, because my dad's from Banjar descend. As my mom from Mendeling descend.
So to those people who keep asking am i chinese? are you from penang? are you from kelantan? or do you mixed? U looks like arab! U looks like pakistan! etc..etc.. the answer is NO!
I'm Malay mixed of Banjar & Mendeling descend and I'm proud of it!
that's what being Malaysian all about Multiracial, Multicultural, and many FOODS, many taste! ~ "̮ ♥


2 comments:
Never had this so cant even imagine. But it looks tasty for sure :-)
mouth watering recipe.. wow.. PS: what could food starvation can do? Read my post here for BAD 2011
Someone is Special
Post a Comment